Monday, March 18, 2013

"Warshing Clothes Recipe" or Aren't You Glad You Have Me?

Every now and then I find something that just makes me glad that I live in this day and age. I know we all worried about Obama care (how much is it going to cost, what happens to my insurance and dang I'm not a spring chicken so.... death panels?), taxes ( they keep going higher and I keep going lower), the debt ( how can a country keep spending trillions it doesn't have - it's not like I can ), and why does everything cost so much more? So yep, these are the times that try men's souls. But here is something that will bring a smile and a "Oh my - glad I live now"( unless of course we have total economic collapse and then I guess this will useful).

This is a recipe given to a new bride by her grandmother.It was found in a scrapbook. The recipe is as exactly as written, spelling errors and all.

Warshing Clothes

build fire in backyard to heat kettle of rain water.
Set tubs so smoke won't blow in eyes if wind is pert.
Shave on hole cake of lie soap in boilin water.

Sort things,make 3 piles - 1 pile white, 1 pile colored, 1 pile work britches and rags.

To make starch, stir flour in cool water to smooth, then down with boiling water.

Take white things, rub dirty spots on board, scrub hard, and boil, then rub colored don't boil just wrench and starch.

Take thing out of kettle with broom stick handle, then wrench, and starch.

Hang old rags on fence.

Spread tea towels on grass.

Pour wrench water in flower bed.
Scrub porch with hot soapy water.

Turn tubs upside down.

Go put on clean dress, smooth hair with hair combs.

Brew a cup of tea, sit, rock a spell, and count yore blessings.


So aren't you glad you have me ? As the gal who does your dry cleaning and warshing - all you have to is put on the clean dress ( or shirt or britches) , smooth your hair and count yore blessings. So despite all the problems - and Lord knows we have quite a few - at least you can rest assured that I am here. So you will have no need for those kettles and fires. Just drop off the dirty clothes ( get a cup of tea  or whatever) and come back later and all is done. No warshing or ironing!!!! Yep, the 21st century ain't bad!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment